Thursday, February 17, 2011

When I was a little girl prints like these hung on my bedroom walls...
Big Eyes and Big Hair # 1
David Golding
Big Hair and Big Eyes # 2

I'm sure they decorated the walls of many girls bedrooms who grew up in the 70's like me. Forty years later they've become part of my life again. I found these in an op-shop, couldn't resist them, and brought them home to hang in my daughters bedroom. My collection grew which was fine until my daughter decided that "their big eyes freak me out!"
So now they're all mine again and here they are in all their big-eyed glory...





  These are all by British artist Dallas Simpson who I've read sold them for next to nothing-as long as she made enough money to pay for her gin she was happy!


 I love these two. They were painted by T. Maru. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any info about him/her. If you know anything please let me know. They look a bit Japanesey to me...

Betty Raphael.


 Someone was crafty with this one. It's done with Hobbytex and must have taken ages!

Big eyes didn't just stop with art, remember these...

Here Comes the Bride.
I found her in an op-shop still in original box.

And here's her bridesmaid!



I had a doll like this when I was little. She wore an aqua dress and sat on my dressing table. I was never allowed to play with her.  Pretty boring really. I wonder what happened to her? I still have most of my old dolls, but not that one...

3 comments:

  1. Such a great post about big eyes and great collection too, I'm going to follow you from now on and I look forward to reading through your posts!
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - great collection..
    I have some too on my Flickr stream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I just found a picture out in the shed that I have carried with me since I was little. I got it when I was about 4 years old (am now 48) and I have always loved it. I think because mine looks like me with brown hair and brown eyes and she's wearing a red dress which I also had. I just typed in the signature T.Maru to see what I could find out, but unfortunately nothing came up. Although a company came up that started 100 years ago and one of their off-shoots is paintbrushes, so I'm wondering if there's a connection there somewhere. I would love to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete