Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I'm going to t-r-y my very hardest to keep today's post as short as I can...this is NOT easy for me...Duh! I'm already on the verge of getting carried away and rambling on and on and on....

So I'll stop now and get to the point. Here's another treasure I found in an op-shop last week...


I don't buy old books that often (mostly because we don't have a place to put them) but I was glad I bought this one, because when I got home and opened it I found wonderful pictures like these...



there's that "Ikea horse" again...



 Seriously, it's just like looking through the current issue of Inside Out or Real Living ("trendy" Australian house and garden mags) yet this book was published in 1965! It just goes to show that good design never really loses its appeal...

(and apart from the coolness factor just consider the water-wise nature of these 60's gardens...)

We have a similar look in our garden

 we paid five dollars each for these beautiful vintage tripod pots...one of our most exciting garage sale finds/bargains of all time!!!

"House Plants" also came with an added bonus: tucked inside I found this

all in all not a bad way to spend a dollar...

x


14 comments:

  1. OMG what finds, the garden book is great as these books really help to offer an insight into plants that were used in the mid 20th Century as part of the modern home design. And that Caltex road map of Queensland, the cover is great! Love the period service station, the car and the mother and girls clothing! Nice finds!! There were many service stations around with that banding on them, it was such a popular design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the UFO planters, in the magazine and your version, very cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha you did a short post well done lol You think your bad.You have seen my posts havnt ya? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those tripod pots- what a find! melx

    ReplyDelete
  5. short or long, just keep posting,... please.
    Great book, I love the old books and mags with interiors / garden photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's soooo good - I bought a similar book last week but haven't put it on here yet. mine has a grooooovy headbanded 60s woman on the cover, but alas no 60s interiors inside. no map inside mine, so bonus points to you!
    love your plant tripods - what a find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent finds. I'm lusting after the tripod planters. Too cool for school definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the planters - very unusual! Great book!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Them planters are great!i don't think they would last long in my garden as planters though,kids would want to try to get to space with them!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep - good design never loses its appeal - never dates. My hubby was an interior designer and he keeps reminding me of that (especially when I am tempted to buy something that he says won't last the course - or will soon become passe- due to poor design.)

    The planters are brilliant and that little corner of your garden is cracking. Love the brick wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh Kylie - those photos and even the road map are so familiar from my childhood (& I didn't even live in Australia!) They capture that time so perfectly. And I just love Love LOVE the salad servers from your last post. What a brilliant find - I wish I had some just like them - Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh your planters are very cool! So too is the road map - i wonder how much has changed? Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It goes to show you should never throw away well designed furniture. My grandfather has kept his teak buffet and hutches and dining table set for so long that it's trendy again. Love your tripod pots and the map might be great on the wall.

    ReplyDelete