Friday, April 8, 2011


Thought these would get your attention...aren't they great. I grabbed them (quickly) from the local Vinnies while I was waiting to pick my daughter up from the traino (very thoughtful of Vinnies to be in such a convenient location...I can pop in most afternoons!)
I'm not sure how old they are? They're plastic and I paid fifty cents for four of them.

Before I show you more of yesterday's treasure I want to say that I have never been sailing or on a ship of any kind...the closest I've come, is catching the ferry to Rotto (Rottnest Island home of the Quokka and 19 kms off the coast of Perth) and to the zoo in South Perth!
But having said that I could not leave these behind when I saw them...
Old jigsaw puzzles of sailing ships, framed and named. Would you have resisted their charm? I think they would look cool in a bathroom or beach house (if you're lucky enough to have one...)

Have a closer look

the Kruzenshtern
Built in Germany in 1926. Given to USSR as war reparation in 1946. She is still the largest traditional sailing ship in operation btw.

the Gorch Fock
(rather an unfortunate name don't you think?)
She was launched in Germany  in 1958.

the Nippon Maru 1930
known as the "swan on the pacific" very romantic.
She was a training ship for novice sailors.

And the last ship off the dock

the Unicorn USA
Built in Holland in 1947 and now sailed by teenage girls and women as part of the sisters-under-sail leadership program.

(you can learn about all sorts of irrelevant stuff on my blog in case you didn't already know...)

I think it's lovely that:
a) someone has had the patience to finish these in the first place and
b) they've taken the time (and had pride in what they'd accomplished) to have these mounted and framed.
That's why I bought them...

I also bought some prettier stuff like...

and
and

And some practical things like

nearly time to plant this years crop of garlic btw

and lastly


70's pot holders made in Japan

 And how's this for the perfect tea towel to end today's post?


5 comments:

  1. Plate is so cute,would be perfect for picnic or BBQ.
    I wish i had the time/patience to finish a jigsaw,they look so lovely in frames,the tea towel fits in perfectly with the rest of the post.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before (I think) and I'll say it again. Genius finds, Kylie. Love the plates. Loving the jigsaws as well which is odd as I'm not a jigsaw fan, myself, but I appreciate that it takes a great deal of effort and patience (haven't got any patience, myself). Pot holders are gorgeous. Love the way you've brought the shipping theme together with your tt. Genius! Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, great finds Kylie. Are you not a little bit tempted to sail over and see us now? 4 months and you could be here!

    Those jigsaws are pretty cool, I do like the Swan of the Pacific. What I'd really like though is a vintage cruise liner poster - the deco ones - that I would have loved to have done.

    By the way, it might be coals to Newcastle, but I saw a teatowel in the local chazza shop and wondered if you'd like it. It's new, still folded and in the packaging and has aboriginal inspired artwork on it - browns and oranges as I remember. I can't remember the name of the artist as I didn't have a pen! But it had obviously come from your neck of the woods and can return, if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont even know where to begin on this post as yet again you amaze us with your finds - loving the tray of course with florals, the pictures are great and yes would be awesome in a beach house, i do agree with the fact someone took a lot of time to frame them all up so they should be appreciated for that alone :o) I laughed at Rottnest - blast from the past, we got the ferry over and then i had to puff my guts out on a bike around the island - well deserved alcoholic drink after that one :o) Thank also for your lovely comment, sorry no fat elvis but maybe for husband number 2 *wink* lol. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you rescued these jigsaw puzzles. I think they're great and the stories behind them were cool too. I like the Gorch Foch (hehe). Nice job tying the post together with that great tea towel! I really dig that I can learn all sorts of "irrelevant stuff" on your blog, so I hope you keep it up =D

    ReplyDelete