Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Vintage Tea Towel Tuesday

Today's tea towel is all about flowers, but thankfully it's nothing like last week's bad 80's country cottage number. This one's a decade older, and it shows (in a good way) The phrase "Flower Power" fits it to a t.    

an Aerolyn design
pure linen
made in Poland

It's loud and proud, a bit like the hippies who protested against the Vietnam War in the late 60's and early 70's.

(I know I'm drawing a long bow here but I've got to pad this post out...somehow!)

Ever wondered where the term "Flower Power" came from? These pics will give you an idea...

Jane Rose Kasmir faces-off against soldiers October 1967
image source

George Harris sticks carnations in gun barrels during an anti-war demonstration at the Pentagon in 1967. Photo by Bernie Boston. Image source 

It would be quite at home in Alice's kitchen (if her bench tops weren't red)

don't you think?
image source

And besides all that, it also has a pretty crocheted edging.

Bonus!

x




19 comments:

  1. oh I love it! I'm a sucker for hippy colours and that crochet edge is darling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaah, yes, Kylie. This is more like it. I adore the yellow,orange, brown combo and the crochet edging gives it that extra appeal in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I love this!! The crochet edge is so pretty!

    x Aliya

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is pretty. I don't think I have ever seen a t-t with crochet trim before. Lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need the sunglasses for that one! Cheery, though!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its gorgeous and has to be one of my favourites so far ;-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tea towel the crochet edges are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it - right up my street! Its funny but vintage teatowels are something I never see on my thrifting trips. I want to start a collection of them but begrudge paying Ebay prices!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved that image of the woman with the flower confronting the armed troops - there's something incredibly powerful about it :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely flower print - zingy! and great protest photos - brave, and wish there were thousands more people doing just that now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an awesome tea towel. I have been making some of my favourites into bead bags but i think this one would be too awesome to sew.

    kel x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would frame that tea towel thats how much I love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it,esp. the colour and the edging.I think the Brady kitchen was olive green and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an awesome tea towel!
    I love Alice,and I would also be right at home in her kitchen!X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! And you padded your post out beautifully ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this teatowel!!! It's brilliant. Great 70's colours. Love the info on Flower Power too.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the design but can Alice come cook in my kitchen, no Brady's allowed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh I love the crochet detail on this one, it's a nice print too :)
    x

    ReplyDelete