Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vintage Tea Towel Tuesday (well, kind-off...)

Q: When is a vintage tea towel not a vintage tea towel?


A: When it's a vintage tea towel wall hanging like this.

I found this little beauty in an old fashioned, proper, junk shop on the weekend. It set me back one dollar and two lids full of Napisan (it was FILTHY!) I love it.


I remember finding an old jar of Savory (well past its use-by-date) in Lucy Violet's pantry when we cleaned up her little house when she died. I've never used it myself though, or even seen a jar among all the other herbs and spices in the supermarket, for that matter. Have you?

My wall hanging says this about Savory:
A herb of the mint family. Comes from France and Spain. Ground for flavouring meat, poultry and sauces.

I just love its name - I think it's the best name ever for a herb, much more exciting than ordinary old Basil, Dill, or Mint. I reckon it's up there with Marjoram, (which also has a nice ring to it) don't you?


I'm quite fond of Sage too, and it's such a pretty plant. Gorgeous silver foliage, pretty purple flowers in Spring. You should grow some - it's hardy and bees love it. Here's ours (it has thrived on neglect, and three hot, dry Summers!)



x

16 comments:

  1. That is the best TT wall hanging EVER!!!! Worth the napisan expenditure, lucky you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's acceptable as a tea towel for sure-love it! Never heard of Savory either but I became a fan of sage when I lived in Montana and hiked in the arid mountains in spring...so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find Kylie. My sage is flowering too for the first time...so pretty and such a lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our herbs have all perished in this unseasonal heat.
    I didn't realise your blog name was a family name. I wanted Lucy Violet for Lala's name but Iain was set on Ella, my other choice.
    Second girl around I wanted Edie Violet, Lucy having been pinched by my sister. He thought it too old fashioned so we again took my second choice, Maya.
    KIsmet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a fabulous herby delight, Kylie!
    I think my favourite herb names are coriander (not included on your t-t, for shame, perhaps a little too exotic!) and tarragon. I should have called a couple of the kids those names. They would have thanked me eventually... xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's really awesome. I looked for some vintage TT for you today, never find any!

    I am looking forward to the cook-off, I have picked my recipe and ready to go. Doubt anyone will eat it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the Mediterranean climate,perfect for growing all those silver folage plants like lavender.Sage belongs to the salvia family.Love the teatowel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tea towel wall hanging! And what a score at $1. BARGAIN! Pretty sage plant. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never used savoury, but love basil.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kylie!! This has to be the most magical tea towel yet! It has the feel of a gloriously retro apothecary!! I love it :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely find, takes me back to when I was little and my mum ran her own herb business. I don't remember ever trying savoury but I used to call marjoram 'cream cheese plant' as I had the leaves on my crackers with cream cheese.
    x
    Faith Hope and Charity Christmas Swap - Sign up now open!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow...that is so gorgeous. I love the apothecary jars and the explanation underneath. The colors are so lovely. You really found something exceptional in that one!

    And I always love pictures from your garden. I'm so envious! My yard is so shaded by 60-year-old trees that hardly anything gets enough sun to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the colour! I found some vintage tea towels amongst my china stash the other day, they arent very exciting but i may just send you one anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm sorry i just marathoned another ride on your bloggy. i needed the break from this-here hassle and everything...
    n♥

    ReplyDelete