Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bathroom Before and After

We like our towels old and scratchy
 
(hooks from here, all the colours of the rainbow, and cheap!)

Before I show you a few pics of our new bathroom I want to say that I have never felt more excitement at the beginning of a renovation project - or more disappointment and regret at the end. Strong words, but bear in mind this is our fourth bathroom reno - we've got 'priors' to compare it with, and none of them were as disastrous as this one.

Due to things I've mentioned previously and others I've kept on the qt, these negative feelings have been really hard to shake. I guess that happens when you get super-excited about something that fails to deliver, doesn't it?

While it's relatively easy to replace tiles that weren't laid properly, fix leaks, iron out little kinks in the design, etc, the 'thing' that I find most upsetting/difficult to get my head around and let go of, is that we didn't do anything wrong! In fact we did everything possible to ensure it was a positive experience (for everyone involved) and still it was a complete schmozzle. I have taken this to heart and it (still) hurts. My feelings. 

Having said all that, we begin work on our laundry next week and I'm determined to move on and put all the bad bathroom stuff behind me before then. Once I've written this post and hit publish, you'll hear no more "pissing and moaning, always complaining"* from me.

(on the topic of our bathroom anyway. Ha-ha!) 
  
Here's some pics to satisfy the sticky-beak in you:

After all the drama you're probably expecting something fancy, but it's just a simple little bathroom, definitely not worthy of all the trouble it caused.

Before

during

and after.

So there you have it. Blind Freddy could see it looks better, right?! And despite all of the above I can too.

Still some final flourishes to go, but I'm not in the right head-space for decoration d' interieurs quite yet. We are also planning to extend the subway tiles beyond the bath (behind the toilet) and on the wall directly opposite. We were advised that this wouldn't be necessary, but on use we have discovered our walls will be a sodden mess if we leave them as is.  

Details
(the best bits IMO)

These frames are 100+ years old. My Mum rescued them from a skip when she worked at the Art Gallery of W.A. Yep, that's right, back in the 80's treasures like these were chucked in the bin (even by folks that should've known better!)

Anth bought the little vintage cabinet (you can see reflected in the mirror) yonks ago at a garage sale. It has a label inside which says "Metlex Bathroom Furniture Made in England". The industrial lights above the mirrors are from here

The green "Jason" lampshade you can see in the after pic, is also vintage, we have had it forever. It's a bit rusty in places, but we like that.
 

We made our shower curtain rod from galvanised pipe and plumbing fittings (easy to make, but sourcing the end bits to attach it was a nightmare! They are brass underneath but a few quick squirts of grey Rust-Oleum fixed that). 
 
Our shower curtain, which I really love is from Ferm Living Australia. Danish design, made in India, sold in Australia, go figure...
 
I've just noticed that our shower curtain is currently on sale at Urban Outfitters and shipping within Australia is free. Here's the link if you're interested. 
 
So there you have it, our bathroom very nearly done and dusted. End of story. End of moaning. At the end of the day just being able to do this is what it's all about...


after all, it's only a bathroom...if this is the worst thing life chucks at us we're laughing, right?!

Thanks for reading. I hear people aren't reading blogs anymore, so I really appreciate you reading mine x

* Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, Good Charlotte




    

30 comments:

  1. Kylie it's stunning, although I'm sure you could have done without all the hassles . When I have my own place subway tiles and dark grout will be a must.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful, what a horrible experience though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the black and white and the little detail. the plant in the bathroom reminds me of my grans house!! wish my bathroom had potential, its at the end of a house and dark. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! You need to do some exorcism/smudging type ceremony (in a not too hippy totally cool Kylie sort of way) to rid you of the demons! I have a green Jason light like that in the shed awaiting our renovation. Oh and I think there are two types of people in this world - those who like their towels fluffy and those who like 'em scratchy, Definitely scratchy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love your tiles! And the shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kylie, it's really beautiful. I love everything about it. The floor is gorgeous, and the vanity and fixtures are perfect. And those frames...wow! The shower curtain is perfect with your decorative tiles, and the rod is genius. I know the process was frustrating for you, but the end result is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GASP! It's gorgeous Kylie. I love the juxtaposition (oh yes) of the modern with the fabulous old mirror frames and the rusty Jason lamp. The tiles are to die for. You got there in the end Kylie and remember what I said about "distant memory" (bloody builders....). xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it Kylie, perfect. I love your towel collection too. Scratchy towels are better, I agree x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kylie, it's gorgeous! Just beautiful. Despite all the drama you should be very happy with it, all of your choices are superb! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great makeover, and hooray for colourful, scratchy retro towels

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kylie it looks beautiful! Love those tiles, the framed mirrors, those wall hooks (I think I might be getting some of them for us - bathroom or laundry!) And I have a very similar looking green pendant light in our shed that I got for $5 at a market! I think one day I would love it in our kitchen. Oh, and old scratchy towels are definitely the best. Soft fluffy ones don't absorb anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh - classy with a hint of steampunk.Nice! We just bought 3 green enamel pendant shades from a junkshop in Birmingham to replace the cheap glass ones we bought for the kitchen (which are in constant danger from overenthusiastic arm swinging from Mr AP). Scratchy towels are the way forward - fabric conditioner makes them waterproof (pet hate). xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. people aren't reading blogs any more? must have missed that memo haha!
    You bathroom looks fab, sorry it caused you so much grief. Mr has just finished re tilng our shower and now I may even find some flooring I like after 20 yrs of living here hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a really beautiful bathroom you have there. Lovely clean lines but with just the right amount of decoration to stop it from looking sterile. Love the way you have sunk the basin with that counter on top. Very practical, plus i love those tiles. Well done kylie, you really are rather good at this stuff you know! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. wowsers..... now, that's what i call a bathroom.
    gives me courage to go on...!
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Industrial Chic Beauty...so well done Kylie...I would move in tomorrow...I am now looking for the uk equivalent of Melbury where you bought your hooks.
    Love all your stuff you have the bestest taste!!
    Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have ginormous shower head envy. *Love* the whole look - you've got a great eye (two, obviously).

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! What a transformation, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. yay it is super lovely ...you should be proud of yourselves and love every shower you take in there....look forward to seeing the laundry makeover too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. My dear, I'm really jealous about your remodel! It's great what you have done! Big huge, Ria

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow!!! I LOVE it, Kylie!! Love the black and white theme, the vintage elements, the subway tiles! Such a shame the prosess was such a nightmare, I hope you'll be able to put it behind you and enjoy your lovely bathroom!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah it's crap when that happens but it's done and rusted as you say and from here it looks a treat! ....I'm thinking of a blk & wh nursery! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kylie, the bathroom looks really wonderful, so stylish and cool. What a difficult process, but I hope you feel the end result was worth it. You have such a good eye, don't let the crap bits put you off! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh it's absolutely gorgeous Kylie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Kylie, the bathroom is just stunning! I love it all, the pattern of the tiles, the subway, the old pendant light, the wooden frames. Every tiny detail is beautiful. Just stand back and bask in how amazing it looks and try and block out the trauma of how you got there. I totally get you about the unfairness of it all though. We had a very problematic reno with our first house a decade a go and we were determined to do everything we could to make this one run smoothly and we still hit some fairly major snags. We do still have a fairly good relationship with our builder and would use him again but it was certainly very stressful at the time and disappointing to not have the breezy experience that many seem to have.
    Are you watching The Block? I am finding it all a bit generic and wish they encouraged more creativity, imagine a renovation show where you had to go all vintage. Sign me up! mel x

    ReplyDelete
  27. One super cool transformation!!! Absolutely love it!!! Live your taste gal xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! Amazing, beautiful, unique. I have the same shower head and it cures all my ills! Those tiles!!

    ReplyDelete