Wednesday, June 15, 2011


When I was younger I used to buy these cheap plaster vases whenever I saw them. Then I grew up, got all sophisticated (not!) and decided I didn't like them anymore...


I sold some of them and donated the rest to op-shops ( you see, I am a giver as well as a receiver!) all except the green ones...I just love that eau de nil green and I found I couldn't part with them.

isn't this one lovely?

The large vase to the left (well it's more of a jug than a vase really) is the first present ever given to me by my husband. We weren't married at the time, I know he paid one dollar for it and I think one of the reasons he married me was because he thought I'd be a cheap date!
How wrong he was! Ha-ha! Having said that I love that jug and it would be one of the first things I'd grab if there was a fire (apart from the kids and dog of course!)

the remains of my collection

There is one more, but although I could see it, I couldn't reach it and believe me I tried! For some reason it wasn't packed with the others. It's a shame because it's a really special one...it belonged to my Nanna and was made in Australia, unlike the others which are all made in England. Oh well...one day...


btw I still see these in op-shops all the time, I never buy them though and they are not cheap anymore either. I like my little collection and I'm glad I've decided to bring it inside...its been stored away for too long.

In lieu of my usual tea towel post, look at what I received from lovely Scarlett today

two wonderful tea towels and an Aussie hanky to add to my collection. Yay!

The Big Shell and the Big Cow are right up there on the list of things I want to see before I head up to that big tea towel in the sky, that's for sure!

pic Wotif.com

pic norton6.blogspot.com



19 comments:

  1. They look so right on the window,I love them, but only have one on display. It's great that everyone is sending little presents all over the place, the blogging 'community' is really taking shape amongst the vintage lovers isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour of the ones you kept - such a gorgeous shade of green!!

    Those tea towels from Scarlett are fabulous - especially loving the bright yellow sunshine coast one! :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look brilliant up there on that window ledge, I am jealous of it as a display area! Fab t-towels too - I do keep an eye out but obviously people round here have never travelled to OZ (or if they have they don't bring tea towels home!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I can rest easy now that Ive seen the big shell and the bog cow - thanks Kylie ;o) Your vases look fabulous on display, love the story behind the jug too and lol at cheap date ;o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those vases are lovely ;-) that one of the things i love about blogland seeing things i wouldn't normally get the chance to see. My favorite has to be the little green and flower one on the far right hand side of the picture ;-)) Fab t-towels to..enjoy them, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww its nice to keep things that have memories attached. Thankyou for your sweet comment about my photo, funny you should mention it, Fairies definately live there, but they only come out at night, i think they are shy :)x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Sunshine Coast - sounds like the perfect place to be and that seashell is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those vases esp the floral one.

    When I said in the previous post that I loved the tts - I meant Scarlett's tts (sorry, it's been a difficult day!). xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those green vases are beauties - I love that kind of plaster ware; they're usually kind of battered and flaky. And what a lovely piece for your husband to buy you - you must have realised he was the one if he spotted that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol at the 'big tea towel in the sky' comment, heh. Lovely jugs...oh hang on that was yesterdays post! Great finds from Scarlett, that TT collection must be HUGE-mongous now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those vases look lovely in that window, and I LOVE the window. Are the Tea Towels from the swap, I joined in the swap too, and am checking my mailbox daily, can't wait to show & tell. I've seen the Big Banana,(Coffs Harbour) and the Big Merino (Goulburn NSW).. not the big shell!! or Cow or Lobster or........ hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheap date! Maybe, he realised that with you at his side he would live a life of discerning taste and know that you will accruing riches beyond belief! Sitting on a gold mine baby!
    I adore eau de nil green as well...particulary deco eau de nil green.
    (I never understood why Barbra Streisand got rid of her Art Deco collection)
    I love it when you unpack things that have been in storage, somethimes you forget what is there and it is like getting presents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your vases! That window is super gorgeous too. The tea towels sent by Scarlett are also fab. (I've just recently met Scarlett via her blog and already love her to pieces).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Green -tik cute -tik memories -tik you got it girl so nice to have them all together like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't feel sorry for Fergie, she's an attention seeking masochist. Whine whine whinge whinge whinge. Saying that, I shall certainly watch "Seeking Sarah" but I will have a bottle of woine and have fun yelling abuse at the silly woman.
    It is funny...my stall at the markets looks so cottagey ...and it is nothing like my taste. I was talking to another girl with a similar aestheic stall, and she was mid century as well. We both thought the other was like her stall. I don't know where it is coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i just discovered your blog! what a nice surprise. i'll pop back to say hi again, for sure. sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely collection, I love the green. Actually, it's quite a sophisticated thing for a young'n to collect :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Who knew there was a big shell? Let alone a big cow.

    The vase collection is fabulous. Green is good.

    ReplyDelete